Gerardo’s Weekly Journal #3

During this week, I was introduced to Shirley Jackson and was able to read some of her most influential and famous readings which included “Colloquy” and “The Daemon Lover”. Both short stories gave us more of an insight of mental disorders and an image on how they are depicted in the views of society. We see how women in society when they bring about their problems to others, they tend to get ignored or brushed away. This leads them to become more crazier and get into this stage of insanity and insecurity. I really enjoyed both readings because it gave us a more of a perspective of how abnormalities can be seen strange in society. As for the works of Shirley Jackson, I hope to read more of her works and see what important notes she makes across her many published readings. Jackson, is an author who writes and is able to get more meaning across and makes the reader see many of the things she is discussing abroad each point.

Another story we were introduced to was Bananafinish and was weird and interesting for me to read. The ending of the story was very unexpected and shocking for me. I didn’t expect Seymour to kill himself because throughout the text there was nothing mention about it. However, we can see that Seymour presented many signs of PTSD after coming back from war. There was no one that appeared to help him, not even his wife, Muriel. We see how such innocence and pureness was taken away from him at war since he looks upon Sybil, and attempts to lock back in such pureness and innocence he lost. I like how the author, J.D Salinger incorporated both characters as a way for the reader to realize how each character’s interaction, Muriel and Sybil have an effect on the way Seymour acts and feels.

As for the week, I really enjoyed both readings and it allowed for a better understanding about the many effects of mental disorders and the way society deals and help those that might be suffering from it. This week was a very interesting week that included a lot of many intriguing readings. I was asked to do a personal narrative based on the readings I had previously read and I look forward for it.