Gerardo’s Weekly Journal #2

During the second week, we were able to get more familiarize with readings such as “The Yellow Wallpaper” and “The Fall of the House of Usher”, which brought us into the minds and experiences of individuals experiencing mental health related issues. We can see how people can go into this type of insanity in where they might lose contact with reality and lose themselves in their own existent world. I like how both stories were written in a narrative way in which helped the reader see more in sight of things that go along in the mind of individuals that might be experiencing the effects of a mental disorder. It gave it more of a real feeling since it is able to capture the attention of the reader, that allows one to better understand the effects and aftermath of a mental related issue.

“The Yellow Wallpaper” is the short story that I enjoyed reading most about in this class because it gave us more of an insight of things that might happen in a stultifying marriage, in where the narrator has to stay calm and obey anything told to her. Through this we can see how her condition gets worse as she is depressed and is going through such chaotic moments in where she feels trapped and has no one to help her. We see how women are marginalized in such society in where they are oppressed and this in a way can affect women to a great extent. Through “The Yellow Wallpaper”, we see how Perkins was able to give this trajectory of insanity, meaning that the author of the text was able to bring us closer to things that might lead women to suffer and feel hopeless. I really liked reading this text because it brought upon many of the issues not verbally spoken during such times and helped pave way for the feminist movement. It’s interesting how one’s action can have an effect on others depending on the mindset and experiences of other individuals.

I feel like “The Yellow Wallpaper” and “The Fall of the House of Usher” gave us an idea of things that might lead people to act a certain way and feel a certain way as well. It helped gives us an idea of the many things that mental disorders can lead to an individual to do. As for the upcoming weeks, I would like to read more texts related to what we read and discussed during the week.