Gerardo’s Weekly Journal #8

This week was a very calm week that allow me to do many things and complete much of the work I had to finish for most of my classes. I went to a pumpkin patch with my family and to a haunted house with my friends. It had been a while since I met up with people to enjoy many of things that are out there. Since the pandemic started, I mostly stood home and didn’t go out, unless if it was necessary to do so. That is why, this week was a very chilling/enjoyable week, in which I had time to hang out with those close to me. Also, this week, I spent a portion of my time completing my character profile assignment, which was interesting to write. We were asked to go deep into a character and come up with a diagnosis about them. This assignment included a research portion for which I found interesting and was my first time, using research to support my writing. I really enjoy this class because, I am always being introduced to new writing habits that in a way are useful to improve my writing.

Also this week, we read our first non-fiction text in which was “The Disembodied Lady”, in which we are introduced to the importance of the mind and body. In other words, we we were introduced to what happens to one once the mind and body, don’t work with each other. Cristina who is mentioned to lose her proprioception, is someone who doesn’t feel part of her body, which makes it hard for her to control it. It’s like a piece of her has left her, although not physically, it’s something that she repeatedly mentions through “The Disembodied Lady” . It was a very interesting story to read and gave me more of an insight of the role the mind and body plays on an individual. As for this week, I also started reading “We Have Always Lived in the Castle” by Shirley Jackson, in which so far I have found to be a very intriguing book. I hope for this upcoming days to read more of the book I have decided to read and see what’s to come for the upcoming weeks for this class. Although this semester has been an unusual one, so far I have learned a lot and has allowed me to develop more as an individual.